GUAM
We spend a few days in Guam, a liberty port, and did some sightseeing and hiking after getting settled in on the ship. We were also able to attend civilian church.
Liz and I at an ABC Store. Gary, Liz and I at the end of the Spanish Steps hike. Super great and fun.
The Vietnam LDS Charities group at church in Guam.
Yes, I'm at the beach in my LDSC POLO shirt. Yeah, I felt very well dressed for the occasion.
Only 2 of the many pallets donated by LDS Humanitarian Services.
It took us a week to get to Vietnam from Guam. I worked days in Vietnam, 12 hour shifts, with 2 days off over the course of 2 weeks. I'm so glad I don't have to do that regularly! The following are pictures of Quy Nohn Vietnam on my liberty days.
This is the coolest Vietnamese patient. Super funny and great sense of humor.
After 2 weeks in Vietnam, we *steamed* to Cambodia for 2.5 weeks (that's Navy speak, you know-you don't "sail" to places, you "steam". Like in Titanic where they say "full steam ahead"...or...something...). I worked nights in Cambodia and had two nights off.
One of the clinics where the MEDCAPs were held.
This was my favorite patient from the whole trip. She was deaf and mute-she stayed with us several nights after her surgery and was so nice, funny and cute. I miss her.
This was a cataract patient who was so appreciative that I gave her tylenol for her pain. Seriously, constantly after giving it to her, she kept bowing and holding my hand. It was a refreshing change from what I deal with in the US.
I also had the opportunity to go to Angkor Wat, one of the 7 wonders of the world. A separate post will be necessary for that experience. :)
After our time in Cambodia, we steamed to Singapore, where we spent a day there on liberty before I flew home. It's a super clean city, where you get fined heavily for anything and everything-gum chewing, jaywalking, eating and walking...

The architecture is great, we rode the Singapore Flyer-the biggest Ferris Wheel in the world, and ate some delish Singaporian food. All in all, a pretty great day after the monsoon rain stopped.
And that, my friends, is my life in a nutshell. Good times were had, good to be back, ready to figure out the rest of my life. Or at least the next few months, anyway...
1 comment:
We are glad to have you back and so proud of you...in a totally non-condescending way. Can't wait to see you next month!
Post a Comment