Monday, June 28, 2010

Nearing the end/military trivia

I can't believe we are on our way to Singapore already. I apologize for not being able to post while in Cambodia; our internet was down for most of the time there. We finished working with patients in Cambodia on June 28th and are now steaming to Singapore, where I will fly out of and come back to the states! It has been a rewarding, exhausting, frustrating, amazing and humbling experience. I have learned so much about myself, the military, the and people of Vietnam and Cambodia. I have developed a lot of friendships with patients, fellow NGO volunteers, military officers and enlisted personnel. I will tell you more about my experience in Cambodia when I can post pictures. In the meantime, in case any of you cared, I thought I'd post some of the military vocabulary I've learned while on ship...

Reveille-what they say every morning to wake us all up. Nope, they don't actually play the song. It's probably a good thing because I would probably have to throw that trumpet overboard if they did that every morning.
Muster-it's what we do every morning; basically a roll call in our various departments to make sure no one is missing from the ship that shouldn't be; if there was, we'd have to do a "Man Overboard" drill to make sure everyone is accounted for.
Head-AKA the bathroom
Chow-meal times. Because it really is just too difficult to say breakfast, lunch and dinner. One syllable; that's all we need. Because we're too busy stuffing our faces with chow on the...
...Mess Deck-the cafeteria
Berthing-The large area where we sleep. On that same note...
Rack-bed. They're stacked 3 high in enlisted berthing.
Secure-does not mean safe. It means closed.
Flight quarters-Flight operations are going on-helicopters flying, etc. Super fun to watch.
Tattoo-not just something a lot of military people get inked on their bodies. It's actually our five minute warning to get to bed.
Taps-lights out for the night. Again, no trumpet.

I'm excited to come home and see all my friends and family! Just a few more days and I'll be back! Loves to you all!

2 comments:

Chris and Jenn Roundy said...

So fun! Love all the new military lingo you've picked up! I'm glad you're having such a great time, and that you'll be heading home soon too. Can't wait to see you in a month! Have a safe trip! Loves!

Megan said...

Your trip sounds interesting. That was why I went into nursing too, so that I could do stuff like that. However, now that I am married, I'm too big of wimp to leave Kevin for that long.