So, one of the touristy highlights of my trip was being able to go on a tour of Angkor Wat, one of the 7 Wonders of the World. It was quite a long drive from where the ship was in Sihanoukville, but, in my opinion, totally worth it to be able to go and see this. We left at 10 PM from the pier and drove a good 8-9 hours through the night on a bumpy bus ride (the driver stopped like 5-6 times through the night; I guess everyone needs a break now and then, but really? 6 times? He even stopped to take an hour long nap!). Anyway, we got to spend about 4 or 5 hours seeing the various temples. It was truly amazing, and I can see why it is named one of the 7 Wonders. It really feels like you're walking into an Indiana Jones movie. So much intricate detail on
every single wall. Here are some pictures of my experience; you can find more information on Angkor Wat
here.
Just hanging out on an elephant.
The details are amazing.

All along those walls are intricate designs of people, fish, trees, boats, etc. Every square inch. According to Wiki, the decoration comes in the form of "bas relief friezes", depicting several different Hindu stories.
Bayon, one of the temples we visited.
Angkor Wat...
The next pictures are of Ta Keo, where Lara Croft was filmed. It's different from the other Wats in Angkor because they allowed the vegetation to grow around and through the Wat, so it's more like a jungle in the Wat than an actual temple. It was really cool to see the massive roots that have grown into the temple over hundreds and thousands of years.
All in all, a super fantastic trip, and totally worth the 16+ hours of driving time to go. I just wish I could have stayed longer. You could totally send a week there and be totally occupied and content. I did this tour thinkng I'd probably never make it back to Cambodia in my lifetime, but after coming to Angkor and seeing all of this, I might have to make my way back again at some point. I'd also love to spend some time in Pmnonh Phenh, the capital, and learn more about the history of Cambodia.
Pacific Partnership was an incredible experience I will not forget. I'm glad I had the opportunity to go-to learn about the military, about the people of Vietnam and Cambodia, and to interact with the people. I hope I made a small impact on the people for the better. I look forward to doing something similar in the future, but for now, it's nice to be home!
3 comments:
Kelli this is so amazing! You are so lucky to be able to experience all of that, it's so beautiful! I'd love to hear more about everything you did, we need to hang out soon!
I'm jealous of all your travels. Can't wait to hear more about it in person!
amazing. you, and the trip. thanks for sharing the pics. now I don't have to do anything educational for the rest of the day.
Post a Comment