Sunday, June 13, 2010

Off to Cambodia!

We are now on our way to Cambodia. We got the final numbers from Vietnam, sounds like we saw over 19,000 people in the MEDCAP sites and had about 120 surgeries on board over the course of the 12 days we were in Vietnam. We had a couple of unplanned cases as well with some Vietnamese fishing accidents. One guy sliced his hand fishing and severed a bunch of tendons. He would have lost the use of his hand had we not been there to repair it. Another guy somehow got an anchor slammed in his face and fractured his zygomatic bone (cheekbone) and his orbital bone (around his eye). We put plates in his face or something to repair that one. Now we're just ready to start working in Cambodia. We've started our malaria prophylaxis, and as I'm writing this blog, feeling a little nauseated from the doxycycline. Oh well, at least I won't have acne when I get back :)

Before we left Vietnam, we hosted a Commodore's Reception, where delegates from Japan, Vietnam and Australia came to kind of "wrap up" our time in Vietnam. A few people from each NGO were invited to come, and I was one who was able to attend. Everyone was dressed in their military best (mostly whites), and the nurse admiral of the western navy came to the reception-she's a pretty big deal, and a few of us from LDSC actually got to chat with her for about 15 minutes or so at the reception. It was quite an honor. Very cool to see. They had an ice sculpture (even in the hot, humid weather!) and lots of yummy food, and the navy band played.

Yesterday we had a "picnic" where we had BBQ style food and ice cream!! So good! The best part? Being able to wear civilian clothes and not my khaki/scrub pants and blue NGO LDSC t-shirt! I still had to wear close toed shoes, but oh, the freedom of wearing shorts aside from working out! And I actually took the time to straighten my hair yesterday, so I felt like a normal person for about 6 hours! We had our church service yesterday for 45 minutes which was nice. There was a "frocking" ceremony yesterday on the flight deck, where enlisted military advanced to higher rank. Kind of cool to witness that.

Today we'll have another man overboard/abandon ship drill. Which means hat, long sleeves, life vest and pant legs tucked in to socks. It's quite the fashion statement, let me tell you.

Miss and love you all! See you soon!

No comments: